Science Experiences For The Early Childhood Years
An Integrated Affective Approach
For over 20 years, Harlan’s and Rivkin’s text has remained a classic in the field of early childhood science education. Its innovative, forward-thinking approach has instructed countless pre-service and new teachers on how to reveal the wonder of science to young children. Written in a clear and accessible manner, with a research-based rationale for early science education, this best-selling resource encourages new teachers to help children live appreciatively and thoughtfully on this amazing planet.
New features of the Tenth Edition:
- Exciting new research and theories and their links to early childhood science approaches are presented in chapters 1 and 2.
- A broadened view of appropriate formative assessments concurrent with the National Science Teachers Association assessment focus and on STEM education.
- The Environment chapter (Chapter 16) has a stronger focus on interdependence, with emphasis on learning in nature, bonding with nature, and clearer connections to prior conceptual content.
- Recommended learning sources beyond the classroom include the family, the community, the outdoors, and supporting the Leave No Child Inside movement.
- New activities include: Air Inquiry which connects air and plant life, and a redesigned Seeds We Eat that now accommodates gluten-intolerant children.
- Annotated bibliographies of new children’s literature are added to Part II, and extensive updated references have been added throughout.
|Titel:||Science Experiences For The Early Childhood Years|
|auteur:||Harlan, Jean D./ Rivkin, Mary S.|
|Uitgever:||Pearson College Div|
|Plaats van publicatie:||01|
|Afmetingen:||241 x 196 x 19|
Part I THE RATIONALE
Chapter 1 An Integrated Affective Approach to Science Learning
Chapter 2 Science Participants: Children, Teachers, Families, and Communities
Chapter 3 Guiding Science Learning and Assessments in the Early Years
Part II CONCEPTS, EXPERIENCES, AND INTEGRATING ACTIVITIES
Chapter 4 Plants
Chapter 5 Animals
Chapter 6 The Human Body
Chapter 7 Air
Chapter 8 Water
Chapter 9 Weather
Chapter 10 Rocks and Minerals
Chapter 11 Magnetism
Chapter 12 The Effects of Gravity
Chapter 13 Simple Machines
Chapter 14 Sound
Chapter 15 Light
Chapter 16 Our Environment
Appendix A - Resources for Music, Recordings, Poetry and Equipment Ordering
Appendix B — Exploring At-Home Activities