|Plaats van publicatie:||03|
|Afmetingen:||196 x 165 x 12|
The universe of video games and the action they involve us in render perfectly the illusions and antagonisms of our ideological predicament – the popularity of post–apocalyptic games tells it all. But perhaps even more important is the type of subjectivity a gamer has to adopt when immersed into a game: a mixture of extreme engagement and loss of reality, a universe of immortality where actions are indefinitely repeatable. So it is not that we can understand the impact of these games only through the analysis of our social reality – it′s also the other way round: to understand how our societies work you have to know video games And Alfie Bown does this at such a high level that he produces an instant classic, a book that everyone who seeks to find a way in our confused social life will have to read. The Playstation Dreamworld is unputdownable, once you start reading it you will get addicted to it... as in a good video game!
Slavoj i ek
If you ever asked yourself what Freud and Lacan would think if they had a chance to play video games, Alfie Bown gives you the answer. As a passionate gamer and a playful philosopher, he succeeds in showing not only why video–games matter but why they might carry subversive potential. This exciting psychoanalysis of video games shows why Pokémon GO and other games were only the beginning of a brave new world."
Sre ko Horvat
From mobile phones to consoles to tablet, we are now a generation of gamers. This book dissects the structure of our relationships to all forms of technological entertainment at a time when digital enjoyment has become ubiquitous.
Alfie Bown is Assistant Professor of Literature at HSMC, Hong Kong and co–editor of the Hong Kong Review of Books.
- Note on the Games
- Tutorial: The Pokémon Generation
- Level 1.
- From Farming Simulation to Dystopic Wasteland: Gaming and Capitalism
- Work and Play – Cultures of Distraction – Pastoral Dystopia, Apocalyptic Utopia No Alternative
- Level 2.
- Dreamwork: Cyborgs on the Analyst s Couch
- Japanese Dreams, American Texts The Dreamworld – Repetitions and the Dromena Immersion and Westworld
- Level 3.
- Retro Gaming: The Politics of Former and Future Pleasures
- 90s Rational Gaming Virtual/Reality – Subject, Object, Enjoyment – Jouissance in the Arcades
- Bonus Features: How to be a Subversive Gamer
- Game Index